Who We Are
Who We Are: At A Glance
- We're committed to safety, health, and wellness and strive to live and work injury-free. We believe that all injuries are preventable and that safety of life outweighs all other considerations. Every decision—big and small—is founded in the belief that everybody goes home safe, every day.
- It’s important to us that we invest in programs that create strong, healthy communities across Nova Scotia. We're committed to providing support for programs and initiatives that promote a culture of inclusion, equity and diversity, help remove barriers, and advance education and awareness in Nova Scotian communities.
- We're deeply invested in our communities and believe that every Nova Scotian deserves a warm home. We invest significantly in programs that remove barriers to make that a reality for our customers.
- Our 2,000 dedicated, safety-focused employees support the generation, transmission, and distribution of energy in Nova Scotia.
- We’re focused on new technologies to enhance customer service and reliability, reduce emissions, and add renewable energy to our generation mix.
- In the last decade alone, we have increased our renewable energy generation from nine to 43 percent. And since 2005, we have reduced coal use by 61 percent.
- We're now working towards 80% renewable energy by 2030, removing coal from our energy mix and transforming how we make, deliver, and store electricity.
- We're proudly an Emera company, which means we share a strategic focus on safely delivering cleaner, affordable, and reliable energy to you—our customers.
- Our employees work to meet and exceed your expectations and deliver the easy, convenient, and valuable customer experience you deserve.
HOW WE OPERATE
- Our facilities can generate more than 2,400 megawatts of electricity that is delivered over 32,000 km of transmission and distribution lines.
- Our more than $4.3 billion worth of generation, transmission, and distribution assets produce over 10,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.
- We're committed to operating in a manner which is respectful and protective of the environment. Through embracing innovation and making significant changes in the way we generate and deliver electricity, we're a national leader in carbon reduction, ensuring our electricity is sustainable—both economically and environmentally—for future generations.
- We strive to be your trusted energy advisor on all energy products in your home and business. We can help you navigate the options available to you so you can save money and help the environment.
When you join our team, you’re immediately offered a wide range of opportunities that help give back to our communities and that will help you grow in your career and plan for the future.
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all employees. Our employees value safety first in everything they do and recognize that a safe workplace comes only with hard work and dedication. When you come to work with us, you join a workplace that strives on the motto that there is no job that cannot be done safely and “everybody goes home safe, everyday”.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
We are committed to providing a healthy workplace and offering a range of services, programs, and incentives that will help employees take charge of their well-being. Our team members have access to regular health screenings and immunization clinics. We organize quarterly health challenges—friendly competitions that encourage positive, healthy habits. We have a fitness centre for employees in the Emera building near our headquarters and other locations have their own gyms on premise.
DEVELOPING OUR TEAM AND LEADERS
Leadership isn’t just for senior team members—it’s for all employees. Our employees supported in developing Leadership Competencies, which provide clarity on the kinds of skills, behaviours, and actions that are expected of every team member in order to advance our business and deliver results. To build on this even further, Nova Scotia Power employees participate in an e-learning platform for our entire business, offering team members self-directed learning on a wide range of topics.
We provide a comprehensive range of benefits for eligible employees, which can include health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, parental leave, pension plans, and stock ownership.
Our employees are strong supporters of the communities where we live and work. Through our Good Neighbour Charitable Fund we make significant contributions to charitable organizations across the province. When you come to work with us, you’ll also find that Nova Scotia Power employees regularly organize fundraising events and initiatives to support our communities.
We see the inclusion of diversity of our team as one of our strengths—and something we continue to focus on and strengthen. Join our Diversity and Inclusion network and participate in one of many celebrations and education sessions.
We’ve been providing electricity to Nova Scotians for more than 100 years, and our greatest source of energy has always been our people.
HOW WE OPERATE
We’re a full-service electric utility, meaning we’re present in all aspects of the electricity supply chain in Nova Scotia—generation, transmission, and distribution. We generate electricity and transport it through our transmission lines so it can be distributed via smaller lines in local areas throughout the province.
A SUBSIDIARY OF EMERA INC.
Emera is our parent company, an international energy firm headquartered in Halifax.
Emera grew from the holding company that was formed following the privatization of Nova Scotia Power in 1992. Today, Emera companies and investments are working in Canada, the USA, and in three Caribbean countries.
Emera is shareholder-owned and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and is the sole owner of Nova Scotia Power. Emera is not publicly regulated, but most of its subsidiary operating companies, like Nova Scotia Power, are publicly regulated. Because of this difference in governance, the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (UARB) governs our interactions with Emera and its affiliates to ensure any work done for us, or by us, is in the best interest of our customers.
Our relationship with Emera, and its growth and status in the energy sector, has allowed Nova Scotia to benefit from investments that have added new renewable energy to our province, reduced emissions from power plants and made them more efficient, and improved customer service and reliability.
Nova Scotia Power’s interactions with affiliates are governed by an Affiliate Code of Conduct issued by the Utility and Review Board. Read our Affiliate Code of Conduct.
Grow your career with us
Our people will always be our biggest source of energy. We invest in the growth and development of our employees and see the inclusion of diversity of our team as one of our strengths.