Founded in 1788, King’s-Edgehill School (KES) was the first independent school in both Canada and the British Commonwealth.
The school’s administration building, Marshall House, is a historic two-and-a-half story wooden building with sash windows and a gable roof. It is over 100 years old and still maintains its architectural integrity.
As with other similar buildings in Nova Scotia, the date of the building meant it had an older, oil-based heating system with no ability for cooling or dehumidification. This was a concern because the second floor of Marshall House is home to KES’s archives, where boxes of historic items, documents, and photos are housed.