Electrical Service Entrance Upgrades

» More in this section

Electrical Service Entrance Upgrades

Need to upgrade your electrical service entrance? Here's what you should know.

Today’s homes typically have 100, 200 or 400 amp electrical service panels.  The size of the panel was determined by the electrical load in the home at the time of installation. Over the years, customers have added more electrical devices in their homes as they realize the benefits of switching to electric-based heating and hot water systems.  In order to accommodate these systems, an increase in the electrical service (panel upgrade) may be required.

Your service entrance starts at the point where we make the connection to our main service wires, and includes the service raceway (also known as service mast), meter socket, main service switch and panel board.

A service upgrade must be completed by a licensed electrician and work under a permit from NS Power.

The size of the electrical panel can only be determined by an accurate electrical load calculation completed by the electrician.

Why should you upgrade your electrical service entrance?

Here are the benefits to upgrading your electrical service:
  • If the current panel is old, it may cause an electrical or fire hazard.
  • The electrical loads in the home are more than the current service can handle.
  • If you are considering changing to an electric based heating system, adding an electric hot water tank, or adding other loads to your existing electrical service, there is a possibility your existing system could become overloaded.
  • Another reason you may want to consider upgrading your service entrance is due to the age and condition of the existing electrical equipment. Deterioration and corrosion of electrical components may cause heating of connections or improper function of protective devices (fuses, breakers). It is equally important to maintain your electrical equipment in an acceptable condition to ensure the overall safety of the electrical installation.

An electrical permit and inspection(s) are required when such alterations are made to your electrical system. Your contractor will be able to provide you this information or may also view these requirements by searching the Electrical Bulletins page on our website.

Where an upgrade in your service capacity is made (i.e. Changing from 100 amps to 200 amps), additional safety related requirements may be necessary. You may also learn more about these requirements by clicking the Electrical Bulletins link above and review NSPI Bulletin B-02-022.