Submit Electrical Claim

Electrical Claims

We are committed to providing you with dependable power. Every year, we invest millions of dollars in efforts to strengthen over tens of thousands of kilometers of distribution and transmission power lines throughout the province. However, there are times when we do experience outages due to adverse weather conditions or failure beyond our control.

If damages are caused by weather related outages, wildlife, a motor vehicle accident, or other causes beyond our control, NS Power is not liable. If damages are related to negligence by us, you may be reimbursed for your loss.

file a claim within MyAccount


Claims Process

1. Complete Claim Request Form

In the form, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Contact information
  • Description of damage
  • Documentation of damage (photos or video)
  • Receipts if replaced/repaired
  • Date the damage occurred

2. Nova Scotia Power Investigation

A customer care representative will contact you within 4 to 7 business days. In more complex cases, the investigation can take up to 30 days. The investigator may contact you directly to ask for additional information. Please do not throw out the damaged items.

3. Claim Accepted

If your claim is accepted, NS Power will pay the depreciated value of the item(s) that are not repairable. You will receive compensation based on documentation and an evaluation by a NS Power assessor.

4. Claim Rejected

Please contact your insurance provider to see if the damage is covered under your existing plans.


Does NS Power provide secondary protection for the homeowner's equipment?

You should speak with a certified electrician about installing secondary protection on your panel. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to have adequate protection for equipment to prevent power irregularities.

Should I repair/replace my damaged property while I wait for the claim to be processed?

While your application is being processed, please take the required steps at your cost to cover your necessities until your claim is resolved. You should know that many household insurance companies will consider these types of claims. You may wish to follow up directly with your insurer to explore this option.

The investigation may include viewing the damaged equipment; therefore it would be a helpful to not discard your damaged items so we can assess them.


What types of claims will not be reimbursed?

If damages are caused by weather related outages, wildlife, a motor vehicle accident, or other causes beyond our control, claims will not be reimbursed.

How long will it take?

Due to the complexity of electrical damage claims, we may take up to 30 days to complete an investigation.

Who is responsible for repairs to a damaged meter mast, meter base, service duct and electrical panel?

Damage to this equipment is the responsibility of the homeowner. Repairs must be made by a certified electrician prior to power being restored to the home. We will repair damage to our equipment, including electrical meter and service wire.

How will my electrical claim be handled?


Every customer application relating to electrical damages to personal property is reviewed on an individual bases.
We consider a number of factors to determine if damage to personal property is the result of wrong doing on our part.

Our investigation may include speaking with the line crews on-site at the time of the incident, ensuring that the property was maintained and representing the proper electrical application. Should we encounter unexpected delays during the investigation a claims administrator will follow-up with you to discuss your claim in more detail.

Once a decision has been reached, you will be notified of the outcome. If your claim is accepted, NS Power will reimburse you for the cost of repair. Where repair is not possible, we will provide reimbursement based on the actual cash value, which considers depreciation.


How do I make an electrical claim?

To learn more about the process of making an electrical claim, and to complete an online application, click here. You may also call our Customer Care Centre at 1-800-428-6230 to talk to a customer service representative regarding a claim.

When you proceed with a claim you will be required to provide repair quotes and receipts with your application. You may also need to provide the damaged equipment for inspection. We recommend you keep a copy of your application and supporting documents for your records in the event we need to discuss them with you.