Nova Scotia Power COVID-19 update
Health and safety are No. 1 priority; Critical electric service continues
HALIFAX – Halifax, NS (March 16, 2020) – At Nova Scotia Power, the health and safety of customers, employees and the communities we serve is our top priority. We are prepared for the coronavirus pandemic and are taking steps to help customers – and to prevent the virus’ spread as we continue to provide vital energy to our customers.
“Nova Scotia Power’s essential work generating and distributing electricity continues,” says Wayne O’Connor, Nova Scotia Power’s president and CEO.
We have activated the following measures as part of our pandemic contingency plan until further notice:
- Restricting the public from all Nova Scotia Power sites starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
- Limiting our employees’ in-person contact with customers. We are temporarily suspending non-essential in-home and in-business services. Outdoor meter-reading, service connects and disconnects would continue, for example
- Facilitating work-from-home scenarios for our employees who are not required to report to a worksite.
- For employees who must continue to report to our worksites:
- Requesting all employees with flu-like symptoms to remain at home and monitoring those employees through our health and wellness team.
- Increasing our cleaning and disinfecting regimens throughout our facilities, and
- Implementing social distancing practices throughout the business.
- Requiring all employees to cease non-essential business travel and monitoring any personal travel plans, imposing a 14-day self isolation following travel outside of Canada.
“We certainly appreciate these are challenging times and understand if a customer is unable to pay their bill because they cannot work -- whether it’s due to self-isolation or illness -- or some other pandemic-related circumstances,” says Wayne.
We encourage customers to call us any time they are struggling to pay their bill, by contacting our customer care centre at 1-800-428-6230 to discuss options.
“As we continue to monitor the ever-changing situation, it is important for our customers to know that we’re here for them,” says Wayne. “We are able to respond quickly as the situation changes and we will keep our customers informed with important updates.
These updates will be available on Nova Scotia Power’s a special COVID-19 web page at www.nspower.ca/covid-19. As always, our online tools are available at www.nspower.ca to help customers manage their accounts and save energy and money.
About Nova Scotia Power
Nova Scotia Power Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Emera Inc. (TSX-EMA), a diversified energy and services company. Nova Scotia Power provides 95% of the generation, transmission and distribution of electrical power to more than 520,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers across Nova Scotia. The company is focused on new technologies to enhance customer service and reliability, reduce emissions and add renewable energy. Nova Scotia Power has over 1,700 employees and $4.1 billion in assets. Learn more at www.nspower.ca
Andrea Anderson, Nova Scotia Power