As you’re decking the halls, and hanging your twinkle lights, remember to keep safety at the top of your list. With these electrical safety tips, you’ll be sure to have a stress-free holiday that’s merry and bright.
- Spread cheer, not fire
Always remember to keep decorations and gifts at least three feet from heating equipment.
- Four’s a crowd
Make the room twinkle, not spark. Remember that more than three strands of lights could result in a blown fuse or even a fire.
- Don’t be tacky
Avoid attaching your holiday lights with nails, staples, or tac plugs. Insulated fastener and clips are always the safest choice.
- Hang with care
Remember to stay at least 30 feet away from powerlines when you’re decorating your home and yard.
- Climb up on the housetop with caution
If you’re using an aluminum ladder to hang your outdoor holiday lights, be sure to stay clear of the service conductor (where your home connects with the power lines). Aluminum conducts electricity and can result in electric shock.
- Check it twice
Have you been using the same old holiday lights for the last decade? It might be time to check the cords. If you see any fraying or cracks, be sure to replace them.
- Stay merry and bright
Never place an open candle near flammable holiday decorations like your Christmas tree or wreath. Choose flame resistant holiday decorations where possible.
- Choose the right light
Make sure you’re selecting the right wattage bulbs for your holiday decorating. Use outdoor lights outside and indoor lights inside—this applies to extension cords too.
- Deck the halls, not the floors
Never run an electrical cord through doorways or under carpets when you’re decorating for the holidays. They could be pinched, damaged and overheated—which can lead to a fire.
- Make it a silent night
Make sure you turn off and unplug your holiday lights before you leave the house or go to sleep. It never hurts to double check before you turn in for the evening.
- Don’t tug to unplug
When it’s time to turn off your holiday lights, pull from the socket and not the cord. Pulling from the cord could result in an electric shock, or a fire.
- Stuff stockings, not electrical outletsIt can be tempting to overload your electrical outlets when you’re feeling festive—but remember, overuse can lead to overheating. Stay safe by being careful with what you plug in.
Share This Post: