Power outages do sometimes happen. Here are some things you can do to be prepared:
- Add Nova Scotia Power's outage line (1-877-428-6004) to the list of emergency phone numbers near your phone.
- Track bad weather by following local radio and television weather reports or visiting Environment Canada online.
- Have an emergency kit with flashlights, a battery-operated radio and fresh water.
- Turn off and unplug electrical equipment such as TVs, VCRs and computers.
- If you are on a well, fill your bathtub with water and have a bucket nearby to flush your toilet.
- Learn to manually operate your automatic garage doors.
- Make sure backup generators are installed by a qualified electrician and follow the manufacturer's safety instructions. Never place a portable generator indoors.
- Keep candles and portable heaters away from curtains or other flammable materials.
- Make a trip to the bank for cash and to the gas station to fill up.