Things you can do to be prepared
- Add our outage line (1-877-428-6004) to the list of emergency phone numbers near your phone, or bookmark our outage map at nspower.ca/outages.
- Track bad weather by following local radio and television weather reports or visiting Environment Canada online.
- Have an emergency kit with flashlights, a battery-operated radio and fresh water.
- Turn off and unplug electrical equipment such as TVs, VCRs and computers.
- Learn to manually operate your automatic garage doors.
- Make sure backup generators are installed by a qualified electrician and follow the manufacturer's safety instructions. Never place a portable generator indoors.
Candles aren’t recommended for emergency lighting because of the risk of fire. If you do use candles, make sure you use proper candle holders, never leave them unattended and keep them away from combustible materials. Always have a suitable fire extinguisher in your home.
Downed Lines and Fallen Tress
For safety, consider all cables and wires to be energized whether they are electrical, cable or telephone. If a line is in the water, there is even more reason to be cautious and consider it and the water energized. Keep children away from all flooded areas and areas with lots of debris because the water or storm debris could be hiding an energized line.
You shouldn’t try to remove or trim branches near a power line. If a tree or tree limbs have fallen on a power line or pulled it down, keep a safe distance from the line or the tree. Contact us as soon as you can at 1-877-428-6004.
Generators that aren’t installed correctly put you, your family, your property and our line crews at risk.
you plan to connect your generator directly to your electrical system, a
qualified electrician must install it. The electrician must apply for a
wiring permit and have the generator inspected by a Nova Scotia Power
wiring inspector before it is used.
- Never feed power from
your generator into a wall outlet or directly into your electrical
system. This could allow power to back-feed into Nova Scotia Power's
system and result in severe injury or death to our employees. When power
is restored after and outage, it may feed directly into your generator,
causing severe damage. To eliminate this dangerous situation, a transfer switch is required to be properly installed by a qualified electrician.
To ensure you are using your generator safely:
- Carefully read the owner's manual before using your generator.
operate the generator indoors or in an enclosed space. Generators emit
deadly carbon monoxide fumes. Operate outdoors in a well-ventilated, dry
area to prevent exhaust fumes from entering windows, doors and fresh
air intake areas.
- Operating your generator in wet conditions
may cause electrocution. Avoid contact with the generator if you are wet
or standing in water.
- Check cords running from your
generator to make sure they are in good condition, rated for outdoor use
and are the proper wire gauge size for the appliance load.
- Do not store fuel indoors or refuel your generator while it's running.