Nova Scotia Power warns parents of LED light safety concern

» More in this section

Nova Scotia Power warns parents of LED light safety concern

November 22, 2015

HALIFAX, NS – Nova Scotia Power is warning parents of small children about a safety concern regarding LED lights the company handed out Saturday at the Chronicle Herald Holiday Parade of Lights.

The battery compartment of the clip-on LED flasher – intended to promote pedestrian safety – is not secure, and the IWK Health Centre has reported two incidents of young children ingesting the batteries. Nova Scotia Power urges parents to keep the lights out of the hands of young children, and discard them if necessary. If a child is suspected of having ingested a battery, the child should be taken to an emergency room for assessment.

UPDATE: For more information on the LED flasher recall, please read our latest release.