Nova Scotia Power continues to work cooperatively with the Mi’kmaq of Nova Scotia. Together we are pursuing opportunities in several areas. As part of this series of initiatives, the scholarship program was reviewed and one scholarship has more specifically been focused on Mi’kmaq students. The overall scholarship program continues to offer opportunities across a diverse range of topics and disciplines.
The scholarship is tenable at an accredited institution offering post-secondary education and is renewable for a maximum of four years of study
(depending on the length of study) leading to a certificate, diploma or
- Applicants must be a Mi’kmaq person registered with a Mi’kmaq First Nation in Nova Scotia.
- Applicants must be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia for at least three years, two years of which are immediately prior to high school graduation.
- Applicants must have graduated from high school in the 15 months prior to fall entrance into their first year at a post-secondary institution.
- This scholarship will not be awarded in conjunction with any other Nova Scotia Power scholarship or for the pursuit of Graduate studies.
A Mi’kmaq Scholarship Committee, made up of Nova Scotia Power Employees and Mi’kmaq representative(s), will review the applications and make decisions on the following basis: academic record, demonstration of a leadership role and volunteer participation in the community, involvement in extra-curricular activities and the written essay portion of the application.
- Essay: Why you are the right choice for this scholarship and what would this scholarship mean to you? (500 word max)
- A minimum of one reference letter completed by the applicant's previous or present instructors, guidance counselors, or employers. (Due to the current work to rule situation a reference letter can be from a volunteer engagement, community involvement, part-time work or mentor as long as the reference is not a family member)
- High school transcript (grade 10-12, including fall semester marks)
How to Apply
Applicants may apply online as of January 25, 2017. Click here to submit your scholarship application. Paper applications will not be accepted.
April 28, 2017